Make rich keto chocolate cupcakes with sugar-free buttercream frosting – all topped with sugar-free peppermint! It’s the perfect holiday dessert.
Low-Carb Chocolate Cupcakes
Nothing gets a party started like rich chocolate cupcakes topped with sweet (sugar-free) peppermint candies! It’s like a peppermint mocha in a hand-held dessert!
The combination of peppermint and chocolate is a match in Heaven! First the bright and invigorating peppermint flavor then you bite into the chocolate cupcake – it’s all so wonderful and perfect.
With candy canes hanging on the Christmas trees, peppermint is just the flavor of the season! These cupcakes are impeccable winter cupcakes. Even after Christmas is over, the love of peppermint chocolate desserts lives on!
Keto Peppermint Cupcakes
I can’t really decide if I like the keto chocolate cupcakes more or the low-carb buttercream frosting. Let me tell you – this buttercream frosting is creamy without being too sweet.
I am obsessed with it! There are so many different ways to use it. It’s a very basic keto vanilla buttercream recipe.
Add it on top of your favorite keto cookie recipe. You can also use this same recipe on top of a low-carb bundt cake. If I want to take breakfast to an extra level, I might add a little bit of sugar-free buttercream on top of a slice of keto eggnog French Toast.
Keto Chocolate Cupcakes
Decorating the keto chocolate cupcakes is so much fun! I have a few tips and ideas that will make the entire process faster or more fun.
- Use a knife to spread the frosting on the cupcakes, then dip them lightly into a bowl of crushed peppermint candies.
- If you don’t have a piping bag, just add the frosting to a Ziploc bag and cut the tip off the bag. Now you have a DIY piping bag.
- Garnish with a sugar-free peppermint stick on the top.
- Use red food coloring to dye half of the frosting. Then, use both red and white frosting on the cupcakes.
- Use an ice cream scoop to add a round dome of frosting on top of the cupcakes. It gives it a whole new look.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
These cupcakes taste the best when they are fresh. If you need to store them, place them in a cupcake container and keep them in the refrigerator – especially if they are already frosting with the buttercream frosting.
The frosting has heavy cream in it, so it must be refrigerated to keep it safe to eat.
The cupcakes will stay fresh for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Keto Buttercream Frosting
Save this recipe even if it is just to keep the sugar-free buttercream frosting recipe. It is delicious and you can’t even tell it is keto-friendly! It has the same ingredients in traditional buttercream frosting – butter, vanilla, and heavy cream – but with one change. Instead of powdered sugar, use a sugar-free powdered sugar substitute.
That’s it! Really! If you want the frosting to be thicker, add more powdered sugar substitutes. If you need to make it slightly thinner, add a touch more heavy cream.
You can make the frosting by hand, but I suggest using an electric mixer. It is so much easier and takes no time at all.
Keto Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Here’s the list of ingredients to make these keto chocolate cupcakes with peppermint topping. Exact ingredients and measurements can be found in the printable recipe card, just a little bit further below.
(This recipe made 17 regular sized cupcakes)
Granulated sugar substitute
Sugar-Free Buttercream Frosting:
Powdered sugar substitute
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar substitute.
3. Slowly beat in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla and mix. Pour batter into a prepared cupcake tin.
5. Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Remove and let cool completely before frosting.
6. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, combine all ingredients for the buttercream frosting.
7. Spread the frosting onto your cooled cupcakes.
8. Top with crushed sugar-free peppermint candies.
Pin for later!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Keto Chocolate Cupcakes With Peppermint Topping
Make rich keto chocolate cupcakes with sugar-free buttercream frosting - all topped with sugar-free peppermint! Perfect holiday dessert.
Keto Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 2/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Butter softened
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar Substitute
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla
Sugar-Free Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar Substitute
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Heavy Cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar substitute.
Slowly beat in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
Add eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour batter into a prepared cupcake tin.
Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Remove and let cool completely before frosting.
Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, combine all ingredients for the buttercream frosting.
Spread the frosting onto your cooled cupcakes. Top with crushed sugar free peppermint candies.
Net Carbs: 5 Net Carbs Per Serving
The nutritional information for this recipe is calculated as a courtesy and is an approximate only. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipes on this site.
Keto Holiday Desserts
If you enjoyed these keto chocolate cupcakes with peppermint topping, then here are some more festive holiday treats you should make next! They are some of my favorites.