This comforting keto chicken and dumplings recipe is hearty, filling, and tastes like your favorite soup from when you were a kid.
I found a way to make dumplings out of almond flour, and they taste just like the kind with all-purpose flour. On its own, chicken soup is already really healthy and naturally low-carb. It’s the noodles that pose the problem for low-carb dieters. So, I just made the noodles low-carb and high-protein. The result is amazing!
Best Low-Carb Chicken and Dumplings
This recipe has the classic flavors and texture that you remember from when you were a kid. I love the earthy broth with the delicate dumplings that melt in your mouth. All the spices and vegetables mix in the most perfect way possible.
It only takes about 25 minutes to cook it, and there are only about 6 net carbs in each serving. This is the perfect easy low-carb dinner that you can fix for your entire family.
Easy Keto Comfort Food
I love a hot bowl of soup when it’s cold outside. Talk about comfort food! Typical comfort foods are full of carbs and sugar – but not this one. It’s really high in protein, fiber, nutrients, and healthy fats. This is the perfect thing to eat when you need a boost of vitamins during the months when your body feels the most run-down.
The sauce in the soup is really thick and creamy because I used real cream in it! Here’s what else I used in the broth:
- Butter – use unsalted butter. If you use salted butter, cut back on how much salt you add to the soup
- Celery – you can add other vegetables to it, but remember to write down how much you add since every vegetable has different amounts of carbs.
- Italian seasoning
- Chicken broth
- Heavy whipping cream
- Shredded chicken – either pre-cook some chicken breasts or just shred a rotisserie chicken from the store.
- Salt and pepper to taste
Keto Dumplings With Almond Flour
My favorite thing about this recipe has to be the dumplings. They are perfectly soft and melt in your mouth. Plus, I used lots of seasonings in them to give the dumplings a mouthful of flavor!
Here’s what I used in the dumplings, along with any substitutions you can make.
- Almond Flour – do not use almond meal. It is too grainy and will make your dumplings taste like sand.
- Baking Powder
- Xanthan gum
- Italian Seasoning – you can use a sprinkle of oregano, basil, and garlic powder instead if you don’t have Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
Healthy Chicken and Dumplings
With all the vegetables and healthy fats in this recipe, this is a very nutritious soup! Make a really large batch and save it for leftovers the next day.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last about 4 days in the refrigerator. Keep in mind that the longer you store it, the more the dumplings will soak up the broth and it will affect their texture when you reheat them.
Another way to customize this soup is to add some fun toppings. Here are a few ideas that would taste really good on top:
- Sauteed mushrooms
Keto Chicken And Dumplings
Here’s the list of all the ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe. Exact measurements can be found below within the printable recipe card!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Net Carbs: 6 net carbs per serving
For the chicken sauce:
Heavy whipping cream
Salt and pepper
For the dumplings:
Salt and pepper
1. In a pot or deep sided skillet over medium heat on the stove, melt the butter.
2. Add the celery and onion to the pan with the melted butter, and saute until softened.
3. Mix the minced garlic into the pan and saute for 30 seconds longer.
4. Pour in the heavy whipping cream and chicken broth.
5. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Combine the ingredients for the dough together in a mixing bowl, and beat on high until well combined.
8. Form the dough into small dumpling shaped balls, and place into the pot with sauce mixture.
9. Reduce heat to simmer on low, and cover for 15.
10. Remove the lid, add the chicken to the mixture and stir carefully to combine.
11. Saute for a few more minutes until the chicken is heated through, and serve.
Pin for later!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Keto Chicken And Dumplings
This keto chicken and dumplings recipe is healthy, nutritious, and the entire family will love it!
Chicken & Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1/3 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups chicken shredded
Almond Flour Dumplings
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
In a pot or deep-sided skillet over medium heat on the stove, melt the butter.
Add the celery and onion to the pan with the melted butter and saute them until they are softened.
Mix the minced garlic into the pan and saute for 30 seconds longer.
Pour in the heavy whipping cream and chicken broth.
Sprinkle with a teaspoon of Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
Combine the ingredients for the dough together in a mixing bowl, and beat on high until well combined.
Form the dough into small dumpling shaped balls, and place into the pot with the sauce mixture.
Reduce heat to simmer on low, and cover for 15 minutes.
Remove the lid, add the chicken to the mixture, and stir carefully to combine.
Saute for a few more minutes until the chicken is heated through, and serve.
Net Carbs: 6 Net Carbs Per Serving
The nutritional information for this recipe is calculated as a courtesy and is an approximate only. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipes on this site.
Winter Keto Dinner Ideas
If you enjoyed this chicken and dumplings recipe, then you will love these cold-weather dinner ideas next. These are some of my family’s favorites: